May 07, 2012

Review #13 The Selection by Kiera Cass



Published: 2012
Pages: 327 (Hardback)
Genre: Dysopian
Long Story Short: A great dystopian for everyone who doesn't love dystopians :)
Goodreads synopsis:


For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.


But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.


Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

I read some reviews about this book complaining how this wasn't a dystopian novel and therefore boring and not what they expected and just a simple love story with a huge cliffhanger. I think all these things are true. And they're what I loved about The Selection.

I have to say I had my problems with America's personality at first. Or ... the whole time actually. She seemed to me like a very forced, unreal copy of Katniss Everdeen. This whole oh-I-don't-want-to-marry-the-prince-and-live-a-carefree-life-and-support-my-family-attitude? I don't know. I just didn't really believe that. The way it was written, I mean. I still don't know who America is. She wanders through life and feels torn between an amazing prince and a guy she knows she can't have. In addition to that, she is - of course - a total tomboy and loves life at its simplest. She doesn't care about pretty dresses, maids, luxury, anything. She has no clue how to interact with girls (they're all way too bitchy and girly and mean!).

As you can see I found the main character pretty annoying. Which is usually bad. I really enjoyed reading this book, though. The story idea itself got more and more appealing to me. Other than Mer, I am a girly girl and I love stories about princes and palaces and dating shows and just all that kind of stuff. And my problem with most dystopians is that instead of girly stuff they often povide much violence and war and suffering. The Selection was what I would consider I dystopian for either first-time-dystopian readers (although it might give you the wrong idea of a dystopian novel) or people who (like me) have not really caught up with the dystopian band-wagon yet.

All in all, this book certainly isn't for everyone but if you are looking for a light, rather different and pretty exciting read without deaths and brutal fights this would be the book for you!

RATING: 2 out of 3 Smarties






No comments:

Post a Comment

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...