October 10, 2012

Review: Need by Carrie Jones


Need (Need, #1)
Goodreads Summary:

Pain shoots through my head. Fireworks. Explosions. All inside my brain. The white world goes dark and I know what's about to happen.
Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now.
She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.



Release Date: December 23, 2008
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Pages: 308 (Hardcover)
Series? Need #1

LONG STORY SHORT:


This is one of those Paranormal Romance novels that stand out. It was mostly for the unique characters that led me to liking this book. Although the boy trouble did annoy me sometimes, the main character never obsessed about her love interests too much and I couldn't stop myself from falling in love with these two lovebirds. The plot was okay, in my opinion. In the end I got bored by all those little incidents that happened and had to power through the last few pages.

REVIEW:

Don't. Don't tell me I should know better. Don't tell me it's my own fault that I have to type the same reviews over and over again. Don't judge me! Cause I can explain.
I didn't ever mean to read this book. What I wanted to read was a historical fiction novel with some steampunk elements. Feeling confused? So was I!
I totally messed up a few series and authors so that once again I ended up with a Paranormal Romance novel although I do know better.
Okay, now that that's clear, why don't I just start this review?
Need had great characters. That's pretty much the number one thing. Zara is totally unique - not like every other whiny, bored - and boring - female leads you find. I won't say names. Everyone knows who I'm talking about.
The love interests - of course there were more than one in the beginning - aren't there always? - didn't shine which was good. And they had some depth. And I will admit that I swooned over one of them and his relationship with Zara. I can't help it, I do crave some cuteness sometimes.
The rest of the characters were...okay. Memorable, at least. I love it when there is a group of best friends and three days after I finish the book I can still remember to which book they belong. Zara's grandma is funny, but a bit weird and a bit stereotypical. Not meaning I believe every grandma in the real world is like Betty. I just think every grandma in Paranormal Romance is like Betty.
The background story was interesting for me because I've never read a book about fairies and all this stuff was new to me and I love expanding my knowledge on paranormal creatures. Because it's like...so helpful in life.
Then there's the plot. Um...yeah. Do you know that feeling when someone forces you to watch a movie you really don't want to see although they claim it's the BEST THING EVER! And you start watching it and you even kinda like it and then after a while you glance over to the clock and you realize you still have 80 more minutes to go and you really aren't interested in the film anymore? That's how I felt with Need. I liked the plot with its twists and turns until at some point - I didn't anymore. There were those long pauses where nothing happened and then they found out something new and then nothing happened and then I stopped paying attention for a chapter and then someone was dead and I didn't even remember who and...basically I finished the book but have no idea what I read during the last 30 pages. I think I even fell asleep.
So all in all, Need was okay. I liked it more than I'd ever expected I would but towards the end I just lost interest and I'm sure I won't continue this series.

RATING:
1 out of 3 Smarties

No comments:

Post a Comment

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...