December 20, 2012

I saw The Hobbit!!!

...but still haven't read the book...

Yes, you got that right. My best friend somehow talked me into seeing The Hobbit last weekend even though I have never
a) read the book
b) read Lord of the Rings
c) saw a LotR movie

Isn't that like...totally unacceptable? I know! But what can I do? I was weak, I said yes and now I'm going to write a quick note on my liking of the movie. I don't want to go into much detail because obviously I am in no way a Middle Earth expert. I don't know which expectations the movie should have fulfilled because I didn't have any to begin with!
I liked the portrayal of the setting. Every new place in Middle Earth was beautiful and creative and it fascinated me to see a world so different from ours on the screen and to feel like it could really exist!
The characters...didn't impress me all that much. I couldn't really connect to any of them and I didn't really care for them but that might have been different if I'd known the LotR story and the characters in those books/movies. Although the plot was good - in my opinion it wasn't great. It was just different kinds of enemies appearing, getting closer, starting a fight that our protagonists sooner or later won and moved on to the next group of enemies.
All in all, I don't want to be critical at all in this note (it's not (!) a review) until I know a little bit more about Tolkien's world and stories. The only thing I can say for sure is: if you are completely unfamiliar with Tolkien's world like I am (which you probably aren't) you might find the movie a bit long and uneventful but you will probably enjoy it anyway because the setting and the "creatures" are soo cool!
Oh, and one more thing: The first Lord of the Rings book has appeared on my nightstand already, so that hopefully I will be able to join all of you hardcore fans out there :)
Have a great day,
the Booksmartie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...