April 20, 2013

Review: Between Here and Forever by Elizabeth Scott

Between Here and Forever

Abby accepted that she can’t measure up to her beautiful, magnetic sister Tess a long time ago, and knows exactly what she is: Second best. Invisible.
Until the accident.
Now Tess is in a coma, and Abby’s life is on hold. It may have been hard living with Tess, but it's nothing compared to living without her.
She's got a plan to bring Tess back though, involving the gorgeous and mysterious Eli, but then Abby learns something about Tess, something that was always there, but that she’d never seen.
Abby is about to find out that truth isn't always what you think it is, and that life holds more than she ever thought it could..


Hardcover, 250 pages
Published May 24th 2011 by Simon Pulse



Long Story Short:
The premise of this book did sound interesting, but overall, it could not deliver what I hoped for. I didn't like the main character, the plot was pretty much nonexistent, the big secret in the end was...not such a secret at all. Anyway, I liked how Scott pulled the strings together in the end, though.

RATING:
1/3 Smarties


Review for You:
Nope, not for me. I mean I pretty much knew what to expect, having read Scott's Bloom almost one year ago, but still - I was disappointed. I guess one year of actively thinking about if and why I like a book did change my taste a little bit. Between Here and Forever was not bad at all, actually.
 I liked the storyline at the beginning, how Abby felt like she was living in her older sister's shadow and then Tess's coma and her familys's dealing with it. The story could have turned into something very beautiful and meaningful with a great message at the end.
After the first few pages, though, Abby started to get on my nerves. I mean, I get it, she is self-conscious and suffers from a serious lack of confidence BUT I understood that when it was mentioned the first time. And, you know, the second time. And every single time after that. 
This was one of those stories where nothing much happens (It's contemporary, after all) so that character development and relationships should make up for that. In really good contemporaries, they do. The first three fourth of this book were practically just about Abby and Tess and flashbacks to their past - which made it feel very dragging right at the beginning.
Even the one or two stories Abby shared about herself that were quite interesting and made her a bit more unique were overshadowed by that big theme going on in her head about how she was not worthy of anyone's attention or love.
The few developments and turns that were included in the plot seemed predictable to me, especially the big thing Abby finds out about Tess that is mentioned in the synopsis. I had hoped for something...um...bigger :)
Anyway, the ending did kind of make up for the rest. If it had only started sooner! The last fifty pages really kept me entertained, there was finally some movement in the story.
Abby changed, learned a few important lessons. Other characters, her family and a special someone had real appearences and started playing a role instead of just being there and letting Abby tell the whole story on her own.
Then again, that movement seemed rushed. I think the author shouldn't have let the reader wait so long for something to happen and then should have invested  more time (and pages) in the ending.
All in all, this book was not enough to keep me entertained. A good contemporary, in my opinion, has to convince me with its characters, their story and development and - maybe - a really happy ending. I couldn't find any of that in Between Here and Forever - sadly.
If you are a fan of Scott's work, you will probably like this book a lot - it's pretty similar to Bloom. If you are having difficulties getting into contemporary at all or like deep, moving contemporaries that transport you into that world, you probably won't be satisfied with Between Here and Forever.

I'm actually a bit desperate right now. Does anyone have a recommendation for awesome, mind-blowing contemporary? Because lately, I've just been very disappointed :/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...