May 20, 2013

Review: The Boyfriend List by E. Lockheart

The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #1)


E. Lockhart’s spot-on dialogue and descriptions of painfully but hilariously relatable situations make this young adult novel an addictive read.

Fifteen-year-old Ruby has had a rough ten days. During that time she:

   * lost her boyfriend (#13 on the list)
   * lost her best friend (Kim)
   * lost all her other friends (Nora, Cricket)
   * did something suspicious with a boy (#10)
   * did something advanced with a boy (#15)
   * had an argument with a boy (#14)
   * had a panic attack
   * lost a lacrosse game (she's the goalie)
   * failed a math test (she'll make it up)
   * hurt Meghan's feelings (even though they aren't really friends)
   * became a social outcast (no one to sit with at lunch)
   * had graffiti written about her in the girls' bathroom (who knows what was in the boys'!?!)

But don't worry--Ruby lives to tell the tale. And make more lists.
Paperback, Readers Circle, 229 pages
Published September 26th 2006 by Ember (first published March 22nd 2005)


Review for You:


I probably would have enjoyed this story a lot more if I'd read it a year ago- when I actually bought it. Now, after more than a year of blogging and reading fun and fluffy stories whenever I felt like it - and whenever I didn't, I feel like I have enough. Frankly, this book was good. Funny, witty, entertaining. But the same ol' teenage problems, highschool drama, growing of age lessons, you find in every other book that could have  a green porcelain frog on the cover. The premise was, of course, different from others. The plot, though, turned out being pretty much what you'd expect. Girls who are best friends, include boys in the picture, girls aren't friends anymore and learn to grow up and go their own ways. 
Anyway, no matter how I personally enjoyed the book, I could never say it wasn't good. If you haven't overdosed on this genre, like I have, you'll probably love it. I even think it's one of the best of its kind.
As I said, witty narrator/heroine, great family, some of the guys are really nice and the book is of reasonable length. If you feel like it, there's no reason not to pick it up!

RATING:
2/3 Smarties

No comments:

Post a Comment

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...