August 01, 2013

Review: Ink by Amanda Sun

Ink (Paper Gods, #1)
 
On the heels of a family tragedy, the last thing Katie Greene wants to do is move halfway across the world. Stuck with her aunt in Shizuoka, Japan, Katie feels lost. Alone. She doesn’t know the language, she can barely hold a pair of chopsticks, and she can’t seem to get the hang of taking her shoes off whenever she enters a building.

Then there’s gorgeous but aloof Tomohiro, star of the school’s kendo team. How did he really get the scar on his arm? Katie isn’t prepared for the answer. But when she sees the things he draws start moving, there’s no denying the truth: Tomo has a connection to the ancient gods of Japan, and being near Katie is causing his abilities to spiral out of control. If the wrong people notice, they'll both be targets.

Katie never wanted to move to Japan—now she may not make it out of the country alive
 
 
A Long Story Short:
 
Ink was a good and solid story. I was entertained through most of the book, I didn't find the writing or characters annoying, but I also didn't have much interest in how the story might go on. A bummer was how I could not connect with the characters at all. What made the book more enjoyable, though, definitely was the unique setting of Japan and everything (language barriers, school, food, tradition) that came along with it.
 
RATING:
 
 
 
 
Ink was a refreshing read, not only for the setting (Asia), although that played a big part in it. Our MC's daily routine alone was so different from the one we have here in Germany, or the ones that I read about in UK or US books.
The setting, the way people talk to each other, their habits and values - another (existing) country as the main setting provided the reader with a lot of interesting details and anecdotes that made the book enjoyable from the start.
On top of that comes a mythology that I've never stumbled upon before. The stories and tales that make the background to Ink are unique - at least in the YA genre. Completely new creatures and paranormal abilities that we haven't had a million times already.
The main characters themselves were enough to keep the novel going, although I cannot say I was impressed by the character building or development. Especially the relationship between Katie and Tomohiro,  or rather the turn it took, didn't convince me.
Tomohiro's personality - even though it was explained later on - never made sense to me.
The side characters were a bit weak, in my opinion. Their names were difficult to remember  since I'm not familiar with Japan and well...their names...At times I had problems even remembering who was who with Katie's friends - a definite sign for one-dimensional characters.
Anyway, the plot was good. A bit too slow in the middle, but the last part of the book brought the action to a whole other level again and the ending made me want to read the sequel.
All in all, Ink was a good read while it lasted, but I'm positive I won't remember much of what happened. Even though I'd like to know what happens to the characters right now, I probably won't anymore when the second book comes out. That special feeling of connection to the characters was lacking. If you're looking for a unique story, you should go for Ink. Then again, if you want a series to fall in love with, this might not be the book for you.

2 comments:

  1. good review, and i totally agree this is a refreshing read still i liked it more than you did it seems.

    check out my review here

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. All the reviews that I've read so far, and opinions of my book friends seem to say they either hated or loved InK. But it sounds to me like you were pretty lukewarm about it.
    I actually have the ARC I won a few weeks ago part of a giveaway where I won a few ARCs. I'm gonna read it fairly soon..but I'm not expecting much! I feel like I'll either love it or hate it, by what it sounds like!

    Dee @ Dee's Reads

    ReplyDelete

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...