October 24, 2013

Review: The Mediator - Ninth Key by Meg Cabot

Ninth Key (The Mediator, #2)Everything is going great for Suze. Her new life in California is a whirlwind of parties and excellent hair days. Tad Beaumont, the hottest boy in town, has even asked Suze out on her very first date. Suze is so excited that she's willing to ignore her misgivings about Tad... particularly the fact that he's not Jesse, whose ghostly status--not to mention apparent disinterest in her--make him unattainable.
What Suze can't ignore, however, is the ghost of a murdered woman whose death seems directly connected to dark secrets hidden in none other than Tad Beaumont's past.
When I read the first book in the Mediator Series, I remember being happy about it, but not too excited. I'd tried to move on from the Princess Diaries after years of fandom and, of course, went into it with very high expectations, then never continued the series.
Now, though, with a couple of years apart and the disappointment over All American Girl and the Abandon trilogy, I was up for some good Meg Cabot magic and she did swing her magic wand with these books.
It's humor and confidence at its best, the whole girl power pack in one book. Sam is sarcastic, strong, funny, and yes, at times very reckless. So reckless even, that you could call her immature. And I do. But not in the annoying way. I am willing to pay the price of immaturity if I get a kick-ass heroine in an awesomely plotted story for that. Those incredible showdowns were made possible by Sam's way of going on missions on her own, so I could stand her sometimes silly behaviour.
Also, while I had no interest in Jessy during the first book, I am now slightly obsessed with him. No, seriously. I know he's a ghost and stuff, but Sam's obsession with him is addicting!
All in all, Ninth Key was a feel-good novel in a feel-good series that you should read no matter where you are in your life right now. It'll make you happy or happier and get you in such a giddy, freakishly funny mood ;D

2 comments:

  1. Oh nice! Glad to see others reading this series! I read this series soooooo many years ago, before there was a paranormal YA genre and LOVED it! I fell so so deeply in love with this series! It was loooooong before my blogging days and I have yet to find time to re-read anything since I've started blogging!

    This is an incredible series and I am so glad you're enjoying it! The ending to book 6 was purely fantastical! I would've said series ender, but earlier this year Meg mentioned getting inspired for a book 7 in this series so YAY! It's not over yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know! Soooo exciting that there's going to be another book! When I was younger, I loooved the Princess Diaries Series and Meg Cabot was my absolute favorite author, but I found myself pretty disappointed by some of Cabot's other books. I wasn't too happy with All American Girl and I found Abandon boring, BUT this series is amazing and the one adult book I read by her was really, really good, too. So I'll definitely stick with her books for a while :)

      Delete

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...