November 28, 2013

Review: The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnsson

The Name of the Star (Shades of London, #1)

The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago. 

Soon “Rippermania” takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities


I think The Name of the Star is one of those books you have to read at the right time, which I certainly did. It is set in London, and I listened to it on audiobook as I was moving to London in the gloomy atmosphere of a Great Britain autumn. 
Yeah, I know! Yay, me!
However, if you want to read it, you certainly can do so if you don't have those awesome circumstances right now ;D 
The story is a long one and I don't know if I would have been all too happy reading it in an actual book, because it takes a LONG time until characters and setting are introduced and the real action stared.
The good thing about this is that the setting, boarding school in London, is perfect for long introductions. I really didn't mind at all, because the characters were so cool and I could just get lost in my childish boarding school fantasies. 
When "the real action" started, I was almost disappointed because Rory's everyday life kind of took the backseat. To be honest, I even think the balance of the first part and second part of the book weren't ideal.
It would probably have fit better if the author had included a bit more of Rory's normal life in the paranormal parts and vice versa. 
Speaking of paranormal, you know those kinds of stories are not my favorite thing. 
However, in this book, it was mixed with a big huge mystery, a lot of contemporary and a beautiful little first - love romance and all of that together made the book feel well rounded and provided for so many different issues to care for. 
To sum it up, I recommend The Name of the Star to everyone who wants a book to enjoy. Not a fast paced thriller, not a super cheesy romance, but simply a novel that has a bit of everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...